Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Note I Sent My Children

Dean & Ronaele - As you may have read on my blog, there was a history-making woman named Dr. Mildred Jefferson of Cambridge Massachusetts who died last weekend at the age of 84 years. She was the first black American to graduate from Harvard Medical school back in 1951. Dr. Jefferson also saw abortion coming to America well before the landmark Roe v Wade Supreme Court decision (1973) that has resulted in more than 50 million abortions over the years. It is a holocaust that dwarfs all others. She was actively involved in forming the National Right to Life back in the 1970s and was on the board of directors for the American Life League based in Stafford Virginia.
 
Dr. Jefferson was a great woman I consider to be of the moral caliber of Martin Luther King Jr. .A few days ago, I wrote a tribute to Dr. Jefferson on my blog. Massachusetts Citizens For Life put it on their blog (see link above). Your mother is shown.
 
I want to share something with you. Last June, after mom and I delivered the keynote address to the National Right Right to Life Prayer Breakfast in Pittsburgh, Dr. Jefferson approached me to urge us to take our story across America. She felt it combined the tragedy of abortion (from a woman's and man's perspective) with a family's experience when confronted with serious disability and chronic illnesses that can drive families to consider euthanasia or individuals to seek assisted suicide. 
 
Your mom has risen above her fear of public speaking and natural shyness to offer her story to North America.  I'm very proud of her.
 
Dad (Mark Pickup)

No comments:

Post a Comment