Monday, October 18, 2010

Dr. Mildred Jefferson

Back in 1980-81 when I was a senior at Dartmouth College I was on a debate team that debated moral issues. When the abortion issue came up, Dr. Charles Hartshorne, the famous process philosopher (who incidentally died in 2000 at the age of 103), and Dr. Mildred Jefferson, the first African American woman to graduate from Harvard Medical School (1951) and then President of National Right to Life, were brought in. I had the privilege of being one of two students who debated alongside Dr. Jefferson; I had a grand time cross-examining Hartshorne, getting him to admit all sorts of things about what counted (or, more precisely, didn't count) as human life that shocked the audience. At the end of the debate the audience, in Oxford debate style, went out the left door or the right door of Rollins Chapel to express which side they thought had won the debate. Even in liberal Hanover, NH at liberal Dartmouth College we trounced the pro-abortion side by a 2-to-1 margin. I'll never forget that night, nor Dr. Jefferson who spoke with intelligence, conviction, and grace. Thank you, Dr. Jefferson, for running the race so well for the imperishable prize.

 

Robert Gagnon, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of New Testament

Pittsburgh Theological Seminary

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Mildred Jefferson was a constant inspiration to me both before and after I became National Director of Priests for Life. In recent years, I especially enjoyed talking with her about the history of the movement and the strategies for the future. She always spoke about the movement with a fresh enthusiasm, vision, and readiness to carry out the work. She did not carry her many years of service as a burden, but as a source of strength! May we all drink of that same spirit!

    Moreover, her passing should remind us of our duty to reflect on and record the history of our movement, and pass it on to the younger generations of pro-life activists. Those who have brought the pro-life movement to where it is now will not be with us forever, and their wisdom is a treasure which we should explore while we still have the opportunity to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the Executive Director of RI Right to Life from September 2001 to September 2007, I feel very privileged to have known Dr. Jefferson. She immediately reached out to me the first time I attended a National Right to Life Board meeting in Washington, DC, made me feel welcome and continued to support me during my tenure. Over the years she has spoken eloquently, and without a note, about this most fundamental issue of our time at the RI State House. Her graciousness and her ability to make one feel like an integral part of this great movement will remain with me always.
    Rita Parquette
    RI Right to Life

    ReplyDelete