Initiative Petition to Amend the State Constitution
to Allow the State Legislature to Outlaw Public Funding of Abortion
Did you know Massachusetts taxpayers pay for abortions?
- In 1981, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court referred to abortion as a "fundamental right" and said that the Massachusetts Constitution afforded a greater degree of protection to that right than did the U.S. Constitution.
- This ruling went further by determining that some Massachusetts women, depending on their financial status, had a constitutional right to have their abortions paid for by the taxpayer.
What We Need to Do . . .
First Step - Amend the State Constitution
- The Massachusetts Alliance to Stop Public Funding of Abortion, http://stoppublicfundingofabortion.org/about-us.html, recently filed a petition to amend the state constitution to begin the process of ending taxpayer subsidized abortions in Massachusetts.This amendment would remove public funding of abortion from the courts and make it an issue for the state legislature
- The amendment would lay the groundwork so that in the future the legislature could vote to stop that funding.
How to Start . . .
Collect Certified Signatures
- 64,750 certified signatures needed, therefore close to twice that many need to be collected
- Signatures must be collected between September 16 and November 18, 2015.
- After the signatures are collected, the Massachusetts State Senate and House, meeting in joint session, must pass the language in two sessions with at least 25% of the vote.
We need YOUR help to collect signatures! Please consider volunteering to help get this important petition drive moving forward. Please call Tom Harvey at 781-312-8755 or email: email@example.com