Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day!  Especially to all you mothers, but really, to everyone.

I think it's safe to say that everyone involved in the pro-life struggle understands the importance of motherhood, so I won't go on at length.

I did want to share a poem which Christina Rossetti used as the dedication of her fourth volume of sonnets. I think it is just lovely--and very true.  In the end, how much of what we accomplish, how much of the good we do, is an attempt to live up to our mothers' expectations for us?  How much is an attempt to return in some measure the love they gave to us?

Sonnets are full of love, and this my tome
Has many sonnets: so here now shall be
One sonnet more, a love sonnet, from me
To her whose heart is my heart's quiet home,
To my first Love, my Mother, on whose knee
I learnt love-lore that is not troublesome;
Whose service is my special dignity,
And she my loadstar while I go and come
And so because you love me, and because
I love you, Mother, I have woven a wreath
Of rhymes wherewith to crown your honored name:
In you not fourscore years can dim the flame
Of love, whose blessed glow transcends the laws
Of time and change and mortal life and death.


Again, happy Mother's Day.  Let's keep trying to be the people our mother's knew we could be.  Let's keep fighting for Life.

-Anne

PS--Thanks to everyone who participated in our Mother's Day Funding Bouquet.



Massachusetts Citizens for Life
The Schrafft Center, 529 Main Street
Boston Massachusetts 02129
United States

No comments:

Post a Comment